With the rise in temperatures, most homes suffer from the appearance of insects, which are abundant in the summer and relatively disappear in the winter. The presence of insects is a problem that cannot be ignored because of the damage it causes by transmitting diseases, spoiling food, damaging furniture, and spreading a state of fear and anxiety among the residents of the house. In addition, some insects can cause annoying bites and skin infections in humans, so we will talk here about the reasons for the appearance of insects in the home and ways to combat them without using pesticides.
Some of the reasons for the appearance of insects in the house
It is necessary to know the main reasons for the spread of insects in the home so that we can solve this problem radically, and among these reasons:
If a tree or one of its branches touches the roof or sides of a home, insects can use it to get in.
The proximity of the house to the ground, which carries inside it various types of insects, such as ants.
The presence of voids at the bottom and sides of the house, allowing insects to enter.
Stock up on some materials in the house, such as firewood, as they provide shelter for insects.
Leaving food scraps on the floors and around the house, which attracts insects to feed.
Open windows and doors without using a safety net.
Pesticide-free household pest control methods
There are safe ways to control household insects without the use of chemical insecticides, as these pesticides have negative effects. Studies indicate that these pesticides affect body systems and harm human health, in addition to posing a threat to the life and health of children if exposed to them. Safe ways to control insects at home:
Keep the house clean
Keeping the house clean is one of the best natural ways to keep insects out of your home. Get rid of hidden holes that can attract spiders. Make sure to wipe food surfaces regularly to keep ants away. You can use any of the natural cleaning products that will keep your house clean and repel insects at the same time. the weather.
Soap and water solution
Soap and water helps kill many insects, such as ants and cockroaches, by spraying a solution of soap and water directly on the insects that kill them.
Tobacco solution is prepared by putting 40 grams of tobacco with a liter of water and leaving it for 48 hours, then the tobacco is well filtered from the water, then a liter of water is added to the filtered solution, the house and gardens. . sprinkled with. This solution helps to get rid of the most dangerous insects.
A little water can be mixed with concentrated vinegar and used to clean floors. Vinegar helps permanently eliminate crawling insects in the house, especially ants. When the ants come into the house, they leave a trail of pheromones that direct the other ants to the food source. Ants still appear even after the food has been removed, so the solution is to use white vinegar to remove this chemical trace, and once the trace of the smell is gone, the ants will start looking for other sources of food, which keeps the ants in your home.
Peppermint oil to repel spiders
Spiders hate mint, so you can make a solution of peppermint oil and water to spray around areas where spiders appear. Not only is this method safe for homes with children, but it also leaves a fresh mint scent in the house.
Boric acid paste to kill cockroaches
Boric paste is one of the most effective home solutions for killing cockroaches, and it is a safe method because it consists of natural materials that do not cause diseases. The dough can be prepared by mixing two tablespoons of flour, one tablespoon of boric acid, one tablespoon of sugar, one teaspoon, and a large amount of milk or cocoa powder, and the mixture is mixed with a little water, and then the balls are kneaded. made of it. The putty is applied to the places where there are cockroaches.
Although boric acid is a natural ingredient, it is very harmful to cockroaches and works to kill them once they are attracted to the paste, as it penetrates the body of cockroaches and changes their cyclic interaction and leads to their stop. Then it dies, and the rest of the cockroaches that have not eaten from the dough are killed, just as the remains remain. Effective paste.
Essential oils of citronella and lemon to repel mosquitoes
Citronella oils and aromatic lemongrass are used to repel mosquitoes, as a candle scented with these scents can be used, and the natural citronella plant, which is considered one of the plants with a strong smell that works to keep mosquitoes away from the house, is used for this purpose, and its oil is used in the manufacture of a number of insecticides, and in the manufacture of scented candles Lemongrass can also be planted, as the strong citrus scent deters mosquitoes or gnats from approaching if planted near the house.
Measures to protect the house from insects
The house can be protected and insect entry reduced as much as possible through the following measures:
- Close any small or large openings in the house, as the presence of openings is one of the biggest reasons for insects entering the house.
- Cover the trash cans, and try to get rid of them first, because bugs usually live in the trash cans and forage for their food.
- Constantly cleaning the kitchen, cleaning and drying cooking utensils, and ensuring that there are no insect eggs in them. It is best to empty the places where you keep utensils frequently and clean them from time to time.
- Inspect the house, its surroundings, and the outside yard to make sure there are no standing water puddles. Bugs are attracted to this water, especially open ponds and unfiltered yards. Therefore, it is recommended to drain stagnant water pools to prevent insects from accumulating on them.
- Remove the remains of dead insects so that they do not cause the spread of germs.
- Get rid of leftovers and don’t leave any food exposed in the kitchen.
- Ventilate the house and expose it to light constantly and not leave it in the dark for a long time, especially in places where insects may be present, because insects do not like light.
- Clean the house frequently, and do not leave furniture stacked on top of each other so that insects do not live and breed inside it.
- Putting protection nets on all the doors and windows of the house to prevent the entry of insects.
- Constantly cleaning the garden of the house, cutting down tall trees and spraying them now and then.